My Travel to Bangkok for Carving Art Study. Malisa School

>>  2/12/2013

A few days ago I came back from my trip to Bangkok, Thailand. 

I had a week there to study carving art, to travel Thailand and meet friends. Do you think one week is a short period? Every day I had carving practice, new friends meeting and nice talks with local people. 

My route wasn't a typical tourist route. Besides Bangkok I visited  Chiang Mai, a heart of Thai culture. Thanks Karla from TempleofThai.com for showing me around and getting me acquainted with Thai food and  culture on my first visit to Thailand! 

I have a lot to share with you my friends :) I will write several posts about my travel and study, you are able to read all of them by clicking the "Thailand' label in the sidebar of the blog.


Malisa School in Bangkok

Malisa Language and Culture School is very famous among Japanese carving artists. The school teaches fruit and soap carving art, Thai cooking and Thai dances. I took a soap and fruit carving course from Malisa teachers. 

The school is located at Sukhumvit district in Bangkok, a noisy place famous with its night life. So you have a great opportunity to learn a traditional Thai culture at the school in day and experience a mad city with pubs&girls in night (that is a contemporary Thai culture:)) 

Spirit house by the entrance to Malisa school.
Pray first before going for fun in the city :)

A hotel building with beautiful plants on the way to Malisa school

I have stayed at Orchid Place guest house in 3 minutes walk from the school. The guest house is aside of the noisy streets with a good location close to the train city line (Nana station). It was a safe place with surprisingly calm neighbours :) If you want to come to Malisa school I'll give you a contact of Malisa person to help you with accomodation and study schedule.

Malisa's teachers speak Japanese and English languages. You will need a knife for your study. You can buy it at the reception or bring your own knife. Malisa's designs are intricate, be ready to carve many small details.  
I was surprised to meet a famous carving book writer Narong Kasinsit at class, he is a teacher in Malisa.


with Malisa school's teachers and personnel (not all here)

with Tui-sensei

I had two lessons that day, on soap and melon carving.

my soap carving

my melon carving

melon carving in process

can't carve deeper, the melon is hollow inside

After lessons I went to find out what is Sukhumvit. Friday night was on. Loud music, pubs, food shops, narrow streets, people, cars, taxi, people, dogs, bikes, people.. Oh my! I found a post office and sent a postal card with greetings to my home (I have a custom to send cards from places I travell to). Went back to my hotel and got asleep. The next day I had early flight to Chiang Mai. That was my first day in Bangkok.

Morning in Bangkok, sunrise at Sukhumvit

Sukhumvit street in evening. 


7 коммент. :

TempleofThai.com February 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM  

Your new carvings are amazing! I am so happy for you Elena. We were very lucky to get to meet you in person. Hope we can see you again soon either in your island or here back in Thailand.

Selena Ze Arteest February 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM  

Karla (TempleofThai), thanks for your kind reception! Would be happy to see you again. Can you come to Sakhalin?! July-September is the best time for travelling here (if you don't want to go skiing :))

Amila February 13, 2013 at 5:29 AM  

this is so exciting! Hope you had a great time there...
These carvings are amazing,I specially like this soap carving.So pretty!

Selena Ze Arteest February 14, 2013 at 4:24 AM  

Amy, I enjoyed a soap carving too. Thailand was safe and friendly to me )) Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous ,  March 27, 2013 at 2:36 AM  

Hi Selena,

Greetings from Singapore!

I am going up to Bangkok in April and considering to take up fruit and soap carving at Malisa school.

Malisa website is in Japanese unfortunately. Could you provide me the contact details ( preferably email) for the contact person at Malisa, so I can make some enquiries.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Bubbly

Selena Ze Arteest March 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM  

Bubbly, you forgot to write your e-mail. Please e-mail me to selen15367@yahoo.com

Radhika September 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM  

amazing carvings the carved soaps look fabulous..what tools you use for soap carvings selena..

Post a Comment

LEAVING A COMMENT CREATES GOOD KARMA

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Food Communities

Carving on Foodista Half Hour Meals All recipes are on Petitchef All Cooking Sites

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP